Monday, October 18, 2010

Wild about tartines



I've been working too hard, which means I haven't been creating in the kitchen. One of my favourite food bloggers, Chaos in the Kitchen, is hosting a contest for recipes supporting Fresh Express Wild Rocket mix. It's essentially arugula with greens. Arugula happens to be among my favourite greens and the contest inspired me to turn Meatless Monday into a merging of comfort food (French tartines, which are open faced sandwiches radiating goodness) and fresh fast food (Fresh Express Wild Rocket mix, plus). I like this recipe so much I don't even care if I win!



Wild Rocket Tartines

Serves 4

4 thin slices of day-old bread (sourdough or boule)
10 washed and sliced mushrooms of your choosing
1 diced onion (I prefer red)
1 cup slivered sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups washed Fresh Express Wild Rocket Zest Blend
1 cup parmesan shavings
Fleur de sel and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Brush a thin layer of olive oil onto both sides of the sliced bread and broil in an oven until golden brown (moments). Set aside to cool.

On the stovetop, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a fry pan and saute the red onions and mushrooms on medium heat until caramelized. Add sundried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Allow the balsamic to reduce to a thick syrup then remove from heat.

In a bowl, toss Fresh Express Wild Rocket Zest Blend with the juice of one lemon and 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Place toasted bread slices on plates. Top with onion/mushroom/tomato mixture. Crown with dressed greens and parmesan shavings.

No comments:

Post a Comment