Saturday, August 14, 2010

Prosperity nachos


Last Saturday we were in the mood for a pile of nachos and beers, so naturally, we went to a local pub to enjoy.
But the nachos were limp, the toppings bland, and the chef had been so skimpy with the cheese, Craig dubbed the dish 'recession nachos'.
$40 later, we agreed the next time we want to go out for nachos and beers, let's stay home.
Tonight, I tried my own hand at making nachos -- something I've never done before, oddly enough.
I wanted my first effort to be memorable, so I knew I didn't want to make the usual chili and cheese variety you get at the pub.
A good nacho dish, in my view, requires at least one really special ingredient. My local butcher sells a spectacular rosemary lamb sausage that actually got me hooked on lamb, and I decided that it should be the star of this show.
I crumbled the sausage into a fry pan and cooked it till it was golden brown. Then I took what was left of a really good bottle of sauvignon blanc and reduced the wine so that the sausage would soak up that extra flavour.
Once the sausage was cooked, I sauteed red onions and red pepper until both were caramelized.
In a separate dish, I made a 'salsa' of local fresh produce: fresh corn kernels, diced red onion, diced radishes, diced cherry tomatoes that are so good I've been dipping them in fleur de sel and snacking on them all week. I doused them in the juice of one lemon and seasoned with salt and pepper.
I also made a fresh guacamole of avocado, red onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, and the juice of one lime.
Finally, I shred about 1.5 cups of really good aged cheddar.
Then I got to layering. The issue I have with most restaurant nacho dishes is that they plop the toppings on the surface of a big pile of nachos and everything underneath is as boring to eat as cardboard. I determined to layer generously, so that every bite would offer a wealth of flavour.
I layered good quality nacho chips with the sausage, onion and red pepper mixture and plenty of cheese to avoid the 'recession nachos' label, then topped it with a bit of the corn salsa.
I baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for no longer than 10 minutes and produced a heaping pile of decadence, surrounded by guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
It was cheaper than eating out and far more rewarding. Saturday just may turn into nacho night around here for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment