Sunday, August 8, 2010

Damn the ants that carry this away

Back in my university days, when money was scarce, I discovered the simple joy of the picnic.
On a sunny summer's afternoon, I would rush home from the library, set my books aside, and begin gathering the freshest bounty of the summer for an evening picnic along the shores of Lake Ontario.
In those days, the setting was Kingston. We would drive to the old Fort Henry, hike along a weedy abandoned path to the rocky shoreline and watch the sun set on City Hall with the sounds of the military academy in the background.
We had a small gas BBQ, so frequently I would make skewers of shrimp marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs that grilled up in just about the time it took to begin enjoying a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
The addition of local artisan breads, aged cheddar, and fresh local cherry tomatoes and cucumbers made us feel like royalty, though in reality we lived as paupers.
Today I live a 7 minute walk from the beach in Toronto, on the other side of Lake Ontario, where I still practice the fine art of picnicking. I can afford more high-end ingredients, but it's still cheaper than dining out and with the waves crashing against the shore as I sip wine and enjoy my picnic delights, it still leaves me feeling like a million bucks.
Where I used to put more thought and elbow grease into preparing special foods to grill, or whipping up a beautiful gazpacho, I find myself leaning on the 'less is more' approach to the picnic.
I still adhere to the formula of (a) good bread (b) quality cheese (c) local produce and then I'll add one easy to make scene stealer to make it memorable.
Sometimes I'll do a quick pickle of the cucumbers, carrots, onions and radishes, pickling them in a boiled solution of vinegar, water, sugar and bay leaf.
Often I'll make my own house marinated olives, squeezing fresh orange and lemon juice onto the olives, adding some herbs de provence, slivered garlic, and a healthy dose of olive oil. If you keep this in the fridge, it's easy to pour them into a small oven-proof dish and warm them up at 350 for a few minutes to offer guests before a dinner party. It turns a basic olive into ambrosia.
Or I'll poach some peeled shrimp in water, salt, and bay leaf for a couple of minutes. Once drained, I'll drizzle a vinaigrette of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and fresh herbs and pop the dish into the fridge to chill while I arrange the rest of our portable food.

Other lovely picnic food that requires very little work to prepare: 
Chicken: Ever since I watched Grace Kelly lure Cary Grant with a picnic of beer and fried chicken in the movie To Catch a Thief, I've found this to be my favourite picnic food. Instead of fried chicken, I marinade chicken breasts and legs in 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, grated ginger, minced garlic, chopped green onion, and 1/4 cup olive oil. (You could add a dash of sesame oil for panache). Marinate for 1-4 hours, then grill (about 20-30 minutes) until cooked through. Eat hot or grill the night before your picnic and chill everything in the fridge for a cold chicken picnic with mustard, homemade pickles, coleslaw and beer ... or with cold rice noodles drenched in a savoury peanut vinaigrette such as this one http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peanut-Sesame-Noodles-106572. 
Pressed sandwiches: Take a nice thin ciabatta loaf and slice it along the middle. Take the bottom half of the loaf and brush it with mustard. Take the top loaf and brush it with pesto mayo or a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, garlic, dried oregano and olive oil. Along the bottom loaf, add in layers salami, thin sliced cheese such as provolone or mozzarella, thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced pork loin or ham, a layer of fresh basil and roasted red peppers, and another layer of thin cheese. Cap it with the top of the loaf, wrap tightly in plastic or wax paper, and put it in the fridge to chill under something heavy. It's like a hero sandwich but better. Follow it up with fresh sliced peaches or nectarines or plums (or a combination of all three) tossed in whipped cream to make a 'fool'. 
Grilled sardines: Chop the head and tail off the freshest sardines your local fishmonger sells. Gut them, rinse, and dredge the outside of the sardines in flour. On medium-high heat, saute the sardines in an oiled pan for a few minutes per side. Drench the cooked sardines with fresh lemon juice. Eat immediately, or if you're preparing for a picnic, allow the sardines to come to room temp then transport. Serve with marinated artichokes and a cold fingerling potato salad that's been doused with a vinaigrette of mustard, sherry vinegar, olive oil, garlic and shallots.

1 comment: