Saturday, May 8, 2010

Plan B



When I stepped out of the shower and realized my water heater was whistling, blowing steam, leaking water & smelling of gas, the last thing I thought about was food.
But once the service guy came and shut down everything, including the gas in my house, I realized the only downside to having a gas stove is, well, moments like this when there is no gas.
As luck would have it, my BBQ propane tanks were bone dry so that wasn't an option either.
Thankfully, my oven is electric and my slow cooker is always at the ready.
First, I got to work on a slow cooker lentil stew. Into the slow cooker I tossed two diced shallots, four minced cloves of garlic, one cup of brown lentils, two diced sweet potatoes, one can of chopped tomatoes (organic, it makes a difference), tomato paste, 1/4 cup tamari, a handful of spinach, and about a teaspoon each of tumeric, cumin, ground pepper, grated fresh ginger and salt to taste. A squeeze of lemon will come when I ladle the soup into steaming bowls.
The aroma is perfuming the house as I write.
Since I was peeling and chopping sweet potatoes I worked on two more, tossed them in olive oil, rosemary and sea salt, then popped them into the oven to roast for a half hour.
Meanwhile, I whisked six eggs, two cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, freshly crumbled dried oregano and a handful of grated cheddar and poured the custard into a greased casserole dish to bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
Breakfast of oven baked frittata and sweet potato home fries, pronto!
For dinner I'll bathe asparagus in a coat of olive oil, wrap them in proscuitto slices and bake for 20-25 minutes for a crispy starter. I'll puree another can of organic tomatoes, leftover roasted garlic (half a head), and chicken stock then pour it into a taller casserole dish for baked tomato soup. I'll add a garlic loaf to the oven and call it dinner.
By tomorrow, the service company promises to get my gas up and running, but I may pretend to go without a gas stove for one day more because I realize I have half a salmon in the freezer that would roast up well with diced roasted squash and a bowl of couscous that just requires boiled water (thank you electric kettle).
Sometimes Plan B makes for a great Plan A.

No comments:

Post a Comment