Saturday, May 1, 2010

In search of the perfect sandwich shop


A story about an American chef intent on building the perfect sandwich for Bostonians got me thinking of my dream Sandwich Shop -- the one I'd open if I didn't enjoy my day job so much.
In fact, an opportunity might open up in my neighbourhood, because the owner of the smattering of disappointing Beach boardwalk eateries awaits the city's decision on whether to renew his permit to monopolize the strip for another five years.
In my dream Sandwich Shop, the menu would be limited to a revolving choice of sandwiches made fresh on the premises using the best breads, organic ingredients and, as much as possible, local food.
Among the offerings of paninis, reubens, pulled pork, vegetarian and grilled fish sandwiches I would showcase a retro classic, the patty melt. Fresh ground sirloin shaped into a thin disc, because I'd rather have two thin patties stacked atop the other (with cheese in between) than the ridiculously thick burgers that most restaurants serve. Thin patties stick together. Thick burgers crumble apart and slide out of their buns, making it a sloppier venture than need be.
My thin patty melt would be seared on a grill alongside caramelizing onions and bread slices slathered with herbed butter (I herb my butters with dried thyme that I buy fresh, dry on the vine, and crumble as I need it, which releases the fragrance).
By grilling the buttered bread, it gives the outside of the patty melt a flavourful crunch.
When all is golden, I would add aged white cheddar to the patty till it melts, then stack the burger and onions into a double decker.
On the side, I would offer:
1. A small bowl of premium dijon mustard
2. A small bowl of homemade BBQ sauce (this one's my favourite)
3. A side of radishes, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, olives and pepperocini peppers 'pickled' in vinegar, water, mustard seeds, kosher salt, and a bit of sugar
4. The best potato salad ever http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Blue-Cheese-Potato-Salad-2039, which I've been making ever since I saw it in Bon Appetit in 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment